Made by Maple Holistics, this Sage anti-dandruff shampoo is ideal for those wanting a natural approach to treating the common scalp condition. Using a combination of ingredients, it is safe and gentle enough to use every day. It is also helpful in not only controlling dandruff but correcting moisture issues as well.
The directions are to simply apply a quarter-sized amount of shampoo to the scalp thoroughly and let sit for 3 minutes before rinsing. You can rinse and repeat or simply follow with a conditioner if desired.
The active ingredients used in the shampoo and how they work
When it comes to treating dandruff, the most effective methods are in targeting the most common underlying cause. Dermatitis is the leading cause of dandruff and is thought to be an irritation of the scalp by many different potential factors. An over production and reaction to a naturally occurring bacteria that is found on the skin, is also thought to be responsible for certain types of dermatitis. Another factor that causes dandruff is an excessive build up of dead skin cells that pile up into scales and lead to a continuing cycle of irritation and over growth. Most standard anti-dandruff shampoos only attempt to treat a single likely cause of dandruff, whereas Maple Holistics Sage shampoo addressed various possible causes.
The main ingredient in the shampoo is sage. There is also rosemary, peach kernel extract, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, botanical keratin, and spikenard extract. Together they produce a tested and hypoallergenic formula that effectively helps reduce the shedding of dead skin, encourages a regular cycle of cell renewal, helps reduce the number of bacteria, and calms inflammation.
Sage, the driving ingredient of the shampoo, has been known to help with inflammation and is also an effective anti-septic. Both of which are helpful in combating the major causes of dandruff, which is dermatitis. Rosemary helps stimulate the hair follicles and combined with tea tree oil; helps clear the dead cells from the scalp and follicles. Another synergistic combination of ingredients is with the spikenard and tea tree oil as well, both work to encourage not only healthier hair but growth as well. Tea tree oil has an additional benefit, aside from boosting the effects of other ingredients, it is has naturally antiseptic properties that can help reduce potential dandruff causing bacteria.
Jojoba combined with argan oil adds an extreme moisturizing factor to the shampoo to help curb dryness that can contribute to simple dehydration-related dandruff. While botanical keratin helps restore hair that has become frizzy and damaged.
The pros and cons of Maple Holistics Sage shampoo
- Many people that have used it agree that is an effective product.
- It is safe enough for every day use, but is even effective with every other day, or even twice weekly usage.
- It is also moisturizing enough that is can be used with or without following it with a conditioner.
- It has a pleasant aroma as a result of the ingredients that does not over burden the hair with heavy perfumes. The smell is faint and neutral enough that either a man or woman can use it.
- The all natural ingredients are guaranteed pure and safe to use, and is perfect for those who do not want to use as many chemicals in their daily lives.
- The combination of natural ingredients make it safe for all hair types, even color treated hair.
- For certain types of dandruff the ingredients cannot help, though most report success with using it, there will still be some people who do not respond well to it.
- The pricing is more than the average shampoo and the small bottle size is off putting to people who need to use it every day to control their dandruff. It can be bought for around $18 for 8 ounces.
- There are reports that the benefits fade quickly after discontinuing use and in some cases there is implication that the dandruff returned more severely than before. It has also been stated several times that it works best for moderate to mild dandruff. Those who have a severe issue may not benefit the best from its use.
Given the Pros and Cons, what do you think of Maple Holistics Sage Shampoo?
Its all natural and powerful ingredients come in a lightly scented and silky formula. Almost every customer who has purchased and tried it has nothing but positive remarks. The few unsatisfied users still often have something positive to remark. If it did not help with their dandruff, it was at least very moisturizing and smelled pleasant. The biggest variable when it comes to gauging how well a product will work is how will the person’s body react. Not everyone will have the same experience, as illustrated by the few complaints people have voiced about the shampoo. Have you tried Maple Holistics Sage Shampoo? If so, I invite you to please leave a comment and share your experience. Did it work for your dandruff? If not, did it have any other redeeming qualities?