Winter is a bad time for skin and hair, with dryness in the air sometimes leading to flaky skin and worsening dandruff. If itchy, unsightly dandruff has you climbing the walls, you’ve probably thought about trying one of the many available remedies. Lots of brands offer dandruff control, from Selsun Blue to Head and Shoulders, but what makes JASON special is that it offers natural relief of dandruff symptoms without harsh chemicals. Dandruff is caused by more than just dryness (although dryness can make it worse), so you need a treatment that tackles the underlying causes and restores a healthy balance to your hair and scalp.
JASON Natural Dandruff Relief Shampoo uses colloidal sulfur to eliminate flakes and itching associated with dandruff and contains natural, wholesome ingredients to restore your scalp to a naturally healthy state. It doesn’t just get rid of dandruff, it promotes scalp health to keep it away for good. If you’ve tried everything under the sun to get rid of pesky flakes and itching, give this shampoo a chance. After trying JASON, you can break out those black clothes in style.
The active ingredients used in the shampoo
The contents of this shampoo include tea tree oil, jojoba oil, and rosemary, which moisturize and calm irritation-prone scalps and promote healing. Tea tree oil also has natural antifungal properties, so it is helpful for the prevention and control of dandruff. It also contains olive oil, which is a wonderful natural moisturizer, along with plenty of aloe vera. The active ingredients are sulfur and salicylic acid, which neutralize dandruff and soothe irritation. Combine them all together and you get one effective treatment for annoying dandruff. These hypoallergenic ingredients encourage healing without the risk of skin irritation that comes with chemical remedies.
JASON Natural Dandruff Relief Shampoo is different from traditional over the counter dandruff shampoos which contain as their active ingredients fungicides like ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione and selenium sulfide, which reduce loose dander by killing the fungus that causes dandruff. Coal tar and salicylate derivatives are often used in these shampoos as well. These chemicals can irritate sensitive skin, and are also pollutants. Unlike these treatments, JASON uses all-natural ingredients, so it’s safe for you, your family, and the environment.
How to properly use the shampoo?
To control the recurrence of flaking, scaling and itching associated with dandruff, use the shampoo in place of your usual hair cleansing routine. For best results, use at least three times each week. Wet hair and lather, and massage onto scalp. Rinse and repeat if you like, and follow up with conditioner if desired. Once the shampoo takes effect, you can reduce the number of washes per week to one until the dandruff is completely eliminated. Even if you are put off by the strong smell, be sure to stick with it for a few uses to ensure that the product has time to take effect.
Some users reported a sticky-feeling buildup with this product, especially people with fine hair. Be sure to rinse thoroughly if you’re worried about shampoo buildup weighing down your hair, and condition as needed, since sulfur can dry out the hair.
The pros and cons of JASON Natural Dandruff Relief Shampoo
- Many long-term dandruff sufferers claim that this product is a miracle worker, and that it even clears up other problems such as body acne.
- It is cruelty free, so you don’t have to worry about unethical animal testing.
- The sulfur in the shampoo eliminates dandruff, while natural oils keep the scalp moisturized to help prevent seborrheic dermatitis, or scalp inflammation.
- Because of its moisturizing and antimicrobial properties, JASON shampoo gets rid of dandruff and keeps it from coming back, making it the gentle yet effective choice.
- It contains no parabens or sulfites, unlike regular shampoos, so it is non-irritating for sensitive skin. Plus, over time it can keep your hair clean for longer by restoring the natural balance of oil on your scalp.
- It is widely available in stores, and can be purchased online at Amazon.com.
- The main complaint most people have about the shampoo is the strong sulfur smell that occurs when they first start using it. It can have a “fire and brimstone” quality while it is working because of the chemical reaction between the sulfur and the dandruff, but this diminishes after the product has been used for a few washes and the dandruff is diminished. Most would agree that it’s a fair tradeoff to put up with the smell for a few days to get rid of dandruff, though.
- Another possible problem is that it contains salicylic acid to control dermatitis of the scalp, which may be irritating for sensitive skin. Consult a dermatologist if you experience persistent irritation or your symptoms get worse after using it.
- It is slightly expensive, averaging about $12 per 12-oz. bottle. The shampoo is also unavailable in additional sizes, so you might have to purchase more than one bottle (especially if you have a lot of hair).
What do you think, it is worth trying?
If you’ve been living with embarrassing dandruff, this product is an effective natural remedy for the annoying flaking and itching short of prescription steroids and harsh cleansers. The JASON brand is known for high-quality, natural personal care products and sustainable business practices. If other dandruff shampoos just aren’t cutting it, try switching to JASON today – it might just be the solution to your problem.
Have you tried JASON Natural Dandruff Relief Shampoo? Did it work for you, or were you less than impressed? Share your experience in the comments below!
Lindsay Swarthout says
I use Jason dandruff treatment shampoo. Does it strip color treated hair?
Maja T. says
Hi Lindsay, thanks for your question. Yes, Jason’s Dandruff Relief Shampoo is perfectly safe to use on colored hair and it uses 2.0% Sulfur and Salicylic Acid to eradicate flakes. Its gentle plant botanical formula targets dandruff by controlling scalp dermatitis and mild psoriasis. Rosemary, Olive and Jojoba oils soothe and moisturize as your scalp is being taken care of and MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) rebalances and conditions the scalp to prevent future dandruff.